The University of Pune conducts Maharashtra State Eligibility Test or MH-SET to recruit Assistant Professors in Goa and Maharashtra every year. This exam is divided into two sets of papers—each having a duration of 3-hours, consisting of 150 questions each.
Paper 1 is more of a generalised paper and is based on aptitude and research questions. On the other hand, Paper 2 is about the core subject the candidate has selected.
MH SET is a recruitment examination and hence, competitive. Therefore, the candidates who appear for this test need thorough preparation and a solid strategy. Regarding suggested reading for MH-SET preparation, below we list the books one should prepare from. We also disclose the syllabus structure and how to start prepping.
Best Books for MH SET Preparation
Here we suggest some of the best books for exam preparation for the MH-SET examination. Know the list of books for Paper 1 and Paper exam. You can also visit BYJU’s Exam Prep for further guidance on the preparation for the exam.
List of books for Paper 1
- Modern Approach to Logical Reasoning by author R S Aggarwal
- How to prepare for Logical Reasoning for the CAT by author Arun Sharma
- NTA UGC Paper I for NET/SET by Oxford University Publications and authored by Harpreet Kaur
- UGC NET/JRF General Paper 1 – Teaching and Research Aptitude by Arihant publication
- NTA UGC NET/JRF/SLET Paper 1 – Teaching and Research Aptitude published by Pearson Education and written by KVS Madaan
- Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examination, by RS Aggarwal
- Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis
- India Year Book by GOI
- Current Affairs by Arihant Publications
- Manorama Year Book – by Malayala Manorama Group publications
These books range from INR 200 to INR 700 and are available at bookstores across Maharashtra and Goa.
List of Books for Paper 2
Subjects of this paper are based on the core subject opted by the candidate. However, some of the standard books are:
- High School English Grammar and Composition Key by Wren and Martin
- UGC CSIR NET/JRF for Life Sciences by Arihant publications.
- UGC NET/SET/JRF for English Literature, by Arihant publications.
How to start preparation for MH-SET?
Every candidate has their way of completing the syllabus and mentally preparing themselves for an examination. However, it’s essential to have a smart plan or a strategy to make the preparation faster and easier. Therefore, we have derived some tips for preparing the syllabus tactfully:
- Time is the key – Timing plays a significant role while preparing for the MH-SET exams. Each paper has 150 questions, making it potentially challenging to complete the paper on time. Therefore, candidates should keep a stopwatch and time themselves while practising mock papers or solving questions so that they’re not left behind in the actual test.
- Notes, notes and notes – To clear MH-SET, it is crucial to understand the critical and unimportant areas for learning. The best way to remember essential things easily is to take short notes—this will help aspirants learn the primary areas fast and recall them quickly.
- Practice makes us perfect – To clear the examination, the key is to practice more mock papers. Writing and preparing through past year’s question papers makes the candidate better understand the examination pattern and increase accuracy.
In the end, we can say that MH-SET examinations are tough and require dedication and commitment. But, it provides the perfect platform to achieve the high dream with the best competencies.
If you’re looking for MH-SET exam preparation materials and support, BYJU’s Exam Prep is your best bet! Packed with all the necessary study materials you need to crack the MH-SET, this is worth looking for…